The portable edition allows you to run MiKTeX from a portable storage device:
- you carry MiKTeX on a portable storage device for use on any Windows computer
- configuration settings are stored on the portable storage device and not in the
Windows Registry of the host computer
- by using MiKTeX Portable, you leave no traces on the host computer
- you do not need administrator privileges on the host computer
How to install
MiKTeX Portable is distributed as a 7-Zip self-extracting archive:
You install MiKTeX Portable by extracting the archive file to a new folder on the
portable storage device:
- Create a new folder on the portable storage device. This folder becomes the installation
- Start the self-extractor.
- Click the ellipse button (the one with the three dots) and browse to the installation
- Click the Extract button.
If you prefer, you can use the 7-Zip
file manager to extract the files from the self-extracting archive.
How to use the portable edition
- Connect the portable storage device to a Windows (see prerequisites) computer.
- Start Windows Explorer (Windows Key+E) and browse to the MiKTeX installation
directory on the portable storage device.
- Double click the Windows command script file named miktex-portable.
- The MiKTeX icon is added to the notification area of the Windows Taskbar. By
right-clicking the icon, you open a context menu:
- It is recommended, that you update MiKTeX regularly in order to get the latest
bug fixes and package updates.
- Before disconnecting the portable storage device, you should click the Exit